About Us
Leland Presbyterian Church evolved from the “Earnest Workers”, six women who gathered in
1902 for Bible study and prayer.  Regular worship services began in 1904, and the presbytery
organized the congregation into a church in 1907.

A wood framed structure built at the present location in 1909 served the congregation until it was virtually destroyed by the flood of 1927.  It was replaced by the present building which was primarily financed by a program known as “God’s Acres” with planters designating the proceeds from certain acreages for the building fund.  The dedication worship service was held May 1, 1932.

The sanctuary was renovated and redecorated in 1942 with new pews, choir stalls, communion table, baptismal font, lectern, pulpit and stained glass windows paid for by personal donations.  Later a pipe organ was installed in chambers behind the chancel.
The first manse was built in 1920 next to the church on Willeroy Street. It was replaced in 1950 when the present manse on Deer Creek was purchased.


Although small in numbers, with a present membership of 205, the church enjoys an extremely active ministry and program. The church has produced 6 Presbyterian ministers. Through the years its members have been active in the presbytery and synod. There are presently members serving on 11 presbytery committees and councils
This church has been served by 15 installed pastors and 2 interim pastors. Several of these men became well-known leaders throughout the Presbyterian church and two were eventually elected to serve as General Assembly Moderator.


Leland Presbyterian Church, having long enjoyed the reputation as “one of the strongest small churches in the denomination”, is grateful for God’s blessings and looks forward with enthusiasm to the ministry God has planned for the future.

Copyright © 2018  Leland Presbyterian Church • Leland, MS • (662) 686-7644